8.18.2008

"Lorelai" ....the soundtrack


My friend is taking a bunch of the pictures from Lorelai's 1st year and making a....well, I don't know what the official name would be...I suppose a slide show set to music.
I chose the pictures easily...the music....well, I kinda put that off for awhile...I was afraid it would be too hard! I'm funny about music...I have all sorts of tastes in music. If I hate a song, I really hate it. Songs and smells are kind of the same to me...just like a certain perfume can take me back to a vacation or phase of life, a song can "take me back", motivate me, depress me, or make me feel good. I know that this view is probably true for everyone, but I really think that I am especially sensitive to it. I can listen to a song now that I was a big fan of at a certain time in my life and it can drum up all the things I was feeling at that time...good and bad....it's like hoping in a time machine!
Sometimes a song will become a mascot of sorts for a particular time in my life...but the words in the song will not line up with that particular time...but it doesn't matter, because, in my head, it drums up all the right emotions...here's an example (since you are so confused and ready to see what other blogs were updated today):
When Tim and I made our grand entrance at our wedding reception we had the DJ play Boston's "More Than A Feeling". The title sounds right, but if you actually know the song, you'll know that it's about a guy who sounds pretty depressed...he keeps thinking about Maryanne...but the darn chick "slipped away"....perhaps she left the dude....the lyrics are vague...she could have died for all I know. BUT, if you've ever heard this song, you'll know it's SO full of energy! It's happy-rockin'-sunshine-omigod i think I'll run and extra mile today! When Tim and I were dating, he introduced me to Boston (popular in the 70's). I remember blasting their music when we'd be driving somewhere on a sunny summer day, windows and moon roof open, in Tim's black Jetta.
So, I knew that the music I'd pick for Lorelai's video might not be your typical baby music. Without further ado...
1. "Where You Lead I Will Follow" Carole King
Well, this one is an obvious choice if you're a Gilmore Girls fan...it's the theme song! The original version of the song is really about a woman and a man, but at some point she re made the song with her daughter and changed the lyrics to suit that relationship.
2. "Lorelei" Styx
Tim and I were pulling out of the driveway one day...this song was playing, and I said "I like the name Lorelei...maybe if we have a girl one day we can name her that." Obvious choice for that reason alone...here's a cut of the lyrics:

"when i think of lorelei, my head turns all around, as gentle as a butterfly, she moves without a sound, i call her on the telephone, she says be there by eight, tonight's the night she's moving in, and i can hardly wait, the way she moves...ooo ooo ooo, i gotta say... lorelai lets live together, brighter than the stars forever"

the style of the song instantly causes visions of polyester bell bottoms in your head...i guess it's not your typical lullaby...but hey.

3. "Time After Time" Cyndi Lauper
With a chorus that states:
"if you're lost you can look--and you will find me
time after time
if you fall I will catch you--I'll be waiting
time after time"
you can't deny it's a good one to include in a loving tribute to your kid...however, I'll admit that I have no idea what the rest of the song means....here are some more lyrics:
"sometimes you picture me--
I'm walking too far ahead
you're calling to me, I can't hear
what you've said--
Then you say--go slow--
I fall behind--
the second hand unwinds"

HUH?

"after my picture fades and darkness has
turned to gray
watching through windows--you're wondering
if I'm OK
secrets stolen from deep inside
the drum beats out of time--"

WHAT? Maybe you should get a restraining order, some thick curtains, and a metronome?

4. "Everyday See You" Jessica Simpson
This song does not fit Jess' typical mold...I don't want to get into it here, but not all of her songs are exactly like the ones you hear on the radio. This song is soulful...it always made me feel good and warm. The lyrics aren't deep for sure, but the feeling of the song is like the sun breaking though the clouds.
Chorus:
"But I got the sun when I need it
(I got the sun)
I got the moon
I got someone I can talk to
'Cause I get to everyday see you"

We all know that sometimes the only person that can cheer us up is our kid, right? So, this one fits well.

It was fun picking the songs...hopefully someday Lorelai will appreciate my choices.

No comments: