8.31.2008

And the Gold Medal Goes to...

...Jane Doe, walking along the streets of Lexington, MI.
Tim and I were walking about this little vacation town yesterday...Tim was pushing Lorelai's stroller up a rather steep hill, when a lady walking towards us looked at me and said "You pushed her out! C'mon, you could push her up that hill!"
*sigh*
At the time, I was like "Uh...well, I've pushed her all over town...it's HIS turn."
I wont tell you what comes to mind now that I've had time to think about it. I can't believe how WATCHED I feel when I'm out with Lorelai. I honestly believe that taking a baby out it public gives you a small taste of what it's like to be a celebrity. People of all sorts have come up to us this past year saying all sorts of things...one stranger even wanted to hold her!
I'm not trying to complain about it...bad or good, it's all part of the whole parenting experience. It's just some funny stuff!

4 comments:

Mariana said...

did you read my last blog about UNwanted advice lol!! I get it all the time and I know it should not bother me because people just mean well but come on if I do not know you do not tell me how to raise my kids! On another note we love Lexington we go there every year for our Christmas tree!!

appleandi said...

my favorite line from gilmore girls relates to so many of these incidents.
(phone rings in Independance Inn)
Lorelai: Michel, the phone.
Michel: Um, it rings.
Lorelai: Are you going to answer it?

(here comes the best part!)
Michel: People are particularly stupid today. I can not talk to anymore of them.

Anonymous said...

When going out in public with my pregnant daughter, we get the unwanted advice all the time on how to get that baby out to what diapers to buy!

Helene said...

I can totally relate to this!! I feel "stared at" a lot, esp when I'm out with all 4 kids by myself. I get the "wow, you're so brave to take all 4 kids out by yourself" as if I should be a total hermit, scared to go out in public with my own kids.

I know people mean well but geez, it can really make you feel extra sensitive sometimes!